I think that the Virginia Tech thing is sort of interesting. Asian's are the hidden minority. We are submissive, we never speak up, and that's why it is so hard to organize Asian's together. We only focus on issues that directly affect us. It's sort of interesting to see how he took a stand, made himself heard. Too bad it came from a psycho.
My Korean friend said "god Koreans are overachievers, always have to be on the top of the list". Virginia Tech is the third highest massacre in the world. The gold goes to another South Korean policeman who killed 50-60 people by putting bombs in their homes.
Random thought I'd just like to write.
I wish SCU was more diverse. Maybe MSJ has spoiled me, and I'm used to being the majority. It's hard running a club. About 19% of the SCU student population is asian, but it's difficult trying to engage them in club activities. I feel like APSU has to be run like a business, and not as a cultural club. Everything has to be "will the members like it, will they stay" when in fact most members don't give a rats ass about culture. They just come to APSU because we host big, fun events.
I also don't feel that administration at SCU supports minorities. A few months ago, the issue of theme parties was brought up. White people were hosting mexican and FOB parties. Girls would come with pillows under their shirts, heavy lipliner, carrying mops and stuff like that. Administration tried to gloss it over, pretending to show interest and once the newspapers were gone, brushed it under the rug. It seems like everytime a cultural issue occurs, the Multicultural Center (MCC) is expected to take care of it. But the MCC is all student run, there's only so much we can do. You can't expect us to come up with a new curriculum or program to educate people about racism; we need administration's support. I feel really sorry for this year's MCC Director, Bernice. She's so stressed out from trying to contact administration, trying to set up something that could prevent or reduce the occurrences of these racial issues. I know that a lot of the time she feels alone, like there's no one she can talk to or get support from.
I'm starting to see how our majors define us. I can't stand working with ethics/ethnic studies majors. All they focus on is the concepts and FEELINGS and RIGHT/WRONG of it all! OH MY GOD! I'M GOING TO BUY FROM WALMART BECAUSE IT'S CHEAPER AND OUR BUDGET DOESN'T ALLOW US ENOUGH LEEWAY FOR MORE EXPENSIVE OPTIONS!! I know that Walmart doesn't treat it's employers well, and about Walmartization. But what the fuck, if Walmart didn't exist, that's thousands of people without jobs. I know Walmart targets mom and pop stores, but Walmart ALSO drives the economy. They help raise our standard of living by providing a wide selection with cheap prices. Yes, they may suck at human rights, but SO DOES TARGET. ALL BIG CHAIN STORES TRAMPLE ON HUMAN RIGHTS/MOM AND POP STORES, IT'S CALLED SURVIVAL.
Ugh. I'm broke, and that's why I'm emotional. Target and Walmart are my friends.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home