Friday, September 23, 2005

something insightful, hopefully

so my religion class isn't that bad anymore. just the first chapter was a really boring intro. pfft, the publisher/editor should have done something about that. but here's a quote from the book that i found to be so right.

"Christian believers who spiritual lives should be shaped by the Master, if they have not wrestled in some mature way with the identity of Jesus, are in danger of constructing a fictional Jesus and attempting to get guidance from him."

I think that's so true. Ever since i was small i was taught that "god is good. god is great. jesus is th e son of God" blah blah blah. I was given this idea that Jesus was perfect in every sense and I was taught to faithfully follow and believe the Bible. However, most of the New Testament was written AFTER his resurrectiong, by his disciples. We never do truly know how Jesus saw himself. There hasn't been found any verse in the New Testament where Jesus has proclaimed his divinity. It is usually the disciples calling him divine. Ok I got off topic. But basically, I found that I had this completely fictional Jesus that was a perfect son/father/god. Or rather, I saw him the way I wanted to see him. But then I got disillusioned with it all, disappointed rather. And so I did start to question my beliefs. but hey, it's all good with this book. cuz...

"They should be offered the opportunity to see that anonliteralistic approach to the NT does not necessarily destroy or undermine classic Christian beliefs."

it's just a new point of view that I have never heard. and it's about time i learned about it. Who knows, this may actually strenghten my belief in God. Right now, it's sort of meh. I KNOW i believed in God. i KNOW he loves me. But i don't really care enough to do anything in response. it's time to read up on Jesus. w00t.


by the way, i'm awesome. and i miss da ge a lot. jamie, don't tell me to shut up, i do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home